Tuesday, July 28, 2009

In my search for a zen way of life I have decided to let go of some of my material things. This has always been difficult for me. Always! How do you let go of things that mean something to you? How do you just give it to someone who doesn't know you, who may not value it as much? It is hard. Then, I hit a roadblock. I wanted a little storage space, maybe a cabinet, to make my bathroom look pretty. My father promptly told me I had too many things. I like the way he made that comment. He has so many thing on his desk we are beginning to wonder if there is a desk under it all.

I've read all the literature on 1. things are just things, 2. throwing away sometihng of sentimental value doesn't mean you are letting go of the memories, 3. things don't decide your value. None of it appealed to me. Then I read something about gifting your things to friends, family, local libraries etc. Somehow the word 'gift' made all the difference. In my mind I knew who I could give what to.

Several of my friends and relatives have had children recently and I decided to give the kids my stuffed toys. The parents were just as happy as the kids to receive these gifts. We also came up with a plan, a Hand-Me-Over plan. When I have kids and my nieces and nephews outgrow the toys my kids get them.

I have given most of my books to the Sishya library. I have felt good about doing that because I know they will be valued and the kids will enjoy reading them. Infact one day when I took m second load of books to the library, one of the 11th std girls came to help me put it in order and "oohed" and "ahed" over the books. Then and there she sat down and started reading. I did, of course, keep some of the unusual books that are difficult to find now. These are only a handful but I'm keeping them. As I went through my book cupboard I found some books I didn't realise I had and had to go through it to see if was really mine. One book I didn't recognise turned out to be one of my textbooks from high school; I found little notes I had made in different chapters. I found that other people had decided to stuff their books into my cupboard. I don't know why!

I did hit a few speedbreakers. People had suggestions on what books I should keep like Famous Five and Secret Seven. I told them that that was got me into trouble in the first place. People asked me if I was sure. I suddenly felt myself wavering. I wanted to take my things back and store it again. But I persevered. I am almost at the end of my gifting spree.

I feel good about this because:

1. I have more space. If I didn't have space here in my parents' house what would have happened when I had to move to another house and there was no place there. Atleast now I don't have to worry about my father putting my things in cardboard boxes and being unable to find anything. This is the same father who has a very odd filing system.

2. I know my things are being put to good use and are being valued.

3. I have given the things that I love to people I love.

My friend Nisha felt that one of the ways to ease the pain of letting go was to send me a photograph. I gave her daughter my brown and pink (one of my favorite colour combinations) to her daughter. She took a photograph of her daughter with my rabbit (I don't think I can call it that anymore.). That very simple gesture touched me. I will put it up on my blog. Thanks Nish for being so thoughtful!

So this is the joy of de-cluttering! And somehow I find it easier to give away clothes! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home