Sunday, May 08, 2005

I am obsessed with my job search.... who would have thunk it??!! Anyway its 4:30am and I have been doing research for the best job hunting advice, dos and don'ts, tranferable skills etc etc etc. Most of the articles I have read recommend that the first thing most graduating students should do is make use of on- campus resources like the career center. I don't think any of the authors of these articles have ever been to the University of Akron's Career Management Center. Despite the warnings of several well- wishing friends, I made an appointment to meet with a counselor there. What did I have to lose? NOthing........ But I didn't gain anything either. Here is what I learnt:
1. The counselors at the CMC are ignorant with regard to the issues international students face. Rather ridiculous considering that nearly 70% of the student body is international.
2. They think that they are helping by just telling us how not to write a resume and sending us on our merry way.
3. They do not provide us with any networking opportunities.
4. For some reason they still have jobs!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home