Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Did I make the right choice when I chose to be a counselor/ therapist? I don't know.... If I knew then what I know now, would I have chosen something different? I don't know...... This is what I wish I knew four years ago. The war between social workers and counselors. Social work is a profession for those with a strong desire to help improve people’s lives. Social workers help people function the best way they can in their environment, deal with their relationships, and solve personal and family problems. Social workers often see clients who face a life-threatening disease or a social problem. These problems may include inadequate housing, unemployment, serious illness, disability, or substance abuse. Social workers also assist families that have serious domestic conflicts, including those involving child or spousal abuse.
Counseling is a process that enables a person to sort out issues and reach decisions affecting their life. Often counseling is sought out at times of change or crisis, it need not be so, however, as counseling can also help us at any time of our life. Counseling involves talking with a person in a way that helps that person solve a problem or helps to create conditions that will cause the person to understand and/or improve his behavior, character, values or life circumstances.
There is supposed to be a difference between these two professions. HOwever, it is a thin line. A thin line which has practically faded. Suddenly social workers are doing the jobs counselors are supposed to do.Both professions require a license in order to be considered professional in the fields.
There are two licenses in social work and counseling and they are considered equivalent. The LPC in counseling is a basic license which is parallel to the LSW for social workers. The advanced licenses are known as LPCC and LISW. In order for a counselor to get a license one has to have a MAster's degree in counseling. SOcial workers can get their basic license with just a Bachelor's degree and perform therapy.
WHy didn't I know this? Had I known this I would have come here to study social work. To make matters worse Ohio is a Social WOrker state. In layman's language, Ohio supports social workers especially with regard to employment and certification.
Dear God, WHy didn't I become a doctor? I loved biology. Why why why?????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home