Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Yesterday was Eid, so my roommate's aunt and uncle insisted that I join them for dinner. They have a huge house in Cleveland which Asfiya is always raving about so it was good to finally see it. However getting there was quite an adventure. Asfiya did not know that there was a way to find directions to a place online. I did not realise that she did not know the way. Anyway we take the exit and then she decides to call her aunt and ask her for directions. I am busy calling otu the names of all the side streets but her aunt doesn't remember their names. I was extremely worried that all the good muslim biryani would be over by the time we got to the house.
Anyway, we finally found the development called, Quail Hollow. I thought it was a lovely name, nice and quaint. THe little streets also had odd names like Winged Foot and Beaver Creek.
We walk into the house and I felt like I was in my friend Arshiya's house surrounded by all her muslim friends, family and neighbours. It was fun! Before we knew what was happening atleast 10 muslim women came and hugged us and then ushered us down the steps to eat.
Heaven! I overate. I did not realise how much I missed eating biryani till then. Actually I miss my mother's biryani.
My aunt and I are constantly arguing about whose biryani is better- her mother's or mine. I think my mother's biryani is the best and she thinks hers is the best. So she always ends it with, "Well, my mother taught your mother. So there!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home