Friday, June 13, 2003

What made the older generation, like our grandparents and great grandparents unforgettable? Anyone you talk to has fond recollections of these people. What made that generation different...memorable? And when people do talk they never compare one person to another. For example no one ever says," So and so was the best person I knew in such and such area?" People just accepted each other and enjoyed each other's company.
Most of my grandfather's students remember him as being as strict headmaster and teacher, as well as someone with a good sense of humour. My grandfather was headmaster at The Lawrence School, Lovedale, in Ooty for 21 years. When my father was in prep school, he was a day scholar and used to live in the Headmaster's house with my grandparents. My grandmother was an amazing cook and so there were constantly people (particularly starving students) eating at the house. One night, when my grandparents had gone out for a staff dinner, some of the girls in juniour school played hookey and jumped out of their dormitory window and snuck into the house. Since my father was their junior they ragged him and ate all the food in the house. WHen I say all I mean ALL!!
When they tried to get back into the dormitory they got caught by the night aiyah who initially thought they were thieves trying to break in. The house mistress and headmistress were called and these girls were told that they were in big do-do and would be reported to the headmaster the next day. So they packed their bags and wore their monday blazers the next day in anticipation of being suspended or expelled. I am told that they all looked like something the cat had dragged in. THey walked into my grandfather's office and all he said to them was, "Couldn't you have atleast left an egg for me to have for breakfast?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home